GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

November 16, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

By: Brandon Nichols

 I want to tell you a secret. I feel that I can trust you because of the weeks you have spent reading this blog. We have grown so close during that time. So…you must know…okay…here it goes…I, Brandon Nichols, am addicted to potatoes. There! I said it! Phew…that feels good to get out in the open. For some reason, I cannot help myself. I think about potatoes all the time. Mashed potatoes. Baked potatoes. Chips. Fries. You name it, chances are I will devour it. As an example, last night I purchased a bag of potato chips and ate about half of them. I had just eaten dinner. I was not event hungry.

So, when I found out that there is a dish that turns potatoes into a form of pasta I just about fell out of my seat! (Confession: I fell out of my seat).

Yes. I am talking about the one, the only, gnocchi. These delicious potato dumplings make a great meal for those potato obsessed and those that just love a GREAT meal! Now, another confession (I am just filled with them today) I have never heard of gnocchi until recently. I am such a bad potato lover! I quickly fixed this by whipping up a gnocchi dish and enjoying it promptly. Given that it is Fall I decided to stay within the cooking season and made Sweet Potato Drop Gnocchi. Amazing! Served with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese this entrée will tickle your taste buds. Give it a shot!

Sweet Potato Drop Gnocchi


Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of salt

Cooking Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and cook the sweet potato until tender. About 50 minutes
  2. When the sweet potato has cooled enough to handle, peel and mash it with a potato masher. Add the flour, egg, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mixing well. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to one day
  3. Fill a large sauce pan with water and bring to a boil. When the water begins to boil add the salt
  4. Using two spoons scoop up about 2 tablespoons of dough with one and scrape it off with the other into the boiling water. Cook 5 to 8 gnocchi at a time
  5. When the gnocchi rises to the top, cook for one minute more then remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer to paper towels to drain
  6. Repeat until all of the gnocchi are cooked. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment