GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

November 28, 2011

Red Potato Latkes

By: Brandon Nichols

 Ah, well Thanksgiving is behind us. It is a bit of a relief. Every year when Thanksgiving comes around I get a little anxious. I think to myself, ‘how will my body handle all of the food that I am about to eat?’ I tell myself that I am going to prepare. You know, participate in a few eating competitions. But I never get around to it; life gets in the way. However, for those who are wondering, I did make it through. I may have put on a few pounds and have had to let out my pants (yet again), but I have survived another Thanksgiving!

Once again, my love for potatoes surfaced at Thanksgiving. I filled about half (actually, three quarters) of my plate with some form of potatoes. What can I say? I am a growing boy that needs his starch (I think I actually stopped growing in fourth grade). The recipe below is one that I want to share with you though it is not specific for Thanksgiving. It is a recipe for red potato latkes.

Latkes are potato pancakes that everyone must eat at least once in their life. Or, if you are like me, once every other week. Generally, latkes are made with Yukon Gold potatoes or a similar type of potato -- red potato are very moist and thus hard to form into pancakes (we have a way around that). Now whip this up and break out the applesauce.

Ingredients
  • 2 large red potatoes, with peel, shredded
  • 1 small sweet onion, minced
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, shred the red potatoes. Pressing your hand gently into the shredded potatoes, drain them over the sink.
  2. mix the red potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, baking powder, rosemary, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
  3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop about 2/3 cup at a time of the potato mixture into the skillet, and press down with a spatula into a pancake shape.
  4. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
  5. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment