GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

November 9, 2011

Spinach Risotto: In One Word: Amazing!

By: Brandon Nichols

 Over the past couple of weeks my inner foodie has really been coming out. I think because it is starting to get colder and my body really wants to put on ‘layers’ to prepare for the winter.

While I have a LOVE for baking I do realize that I need to eat ‘food’. Now, I have a very loose definition of food: basically, it is just sweets. However, apparently, there are guidelines for a ‘healthy, balanced diet’. Crazy talk if you ask me! Although, I guess it is important to include items in your diet that are not part of the salt, fat and sugar food groups (I did not realize that there were other food groups…)

One of my FAVORITE dishes is risotto. I am not quite sure anything else can compete. So this weekend I whipped up this little beauty right here: a spinach risotto. In one word: AMAZING! It was so good that I made it again the next night. I would have made it the following night but I ran out of spinach. Heartbreaking…

Try it and you will not be disappointed! What is your favorite type of risotto? Share below!

Ingredients
4 cups vegetable broth
4 shallots, minced
1 ½ teaspoons dry oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups of finely chopped spinach
1 cup Arborio rice
1 ½ tablespoon of White Wine Vinegar
¼ cup Parmesan cheese

  1. In a large sauce pan bring the vegetable broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once the broth begins to simmer reduce the heat to medium
  2. In a medium sauce pan heat up the oil. Sautee the shallots with the oregano until the shallots are soft. About 6 months
  3. Add the spinach and rice to the shallots and mix until well combined. About 1 minute.
  4. Add the vinegar and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Add one cup of the heated broth. Stir until all of the broth is absorbed. About 5 minutes. Add broth one ladle full at a time. Stirring after each addition until the broth is absorbed.
  6. With the last ladle of broth add the cheese and stir in well. Risotto is done when the last of the broth has been absorbed. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment