GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

November 13, 2012

The True Value of Pie

To most of us, the word “pie” conjures up images of family gatherings, crisp weather and the biggest shopping weekend of the year. But for Terry Strand, pie took on a new meaning when she was diagnosed with breast cancer in January.

“You never know when life is going to throw you a curve,” says Terry. “After I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I needed to have meals that would nurture me physically, spiritually and mentally. Food & Friends was there.”
For years, Terry has been a contributor to Food & Friends and an active Slice of Life pie seller through her workplace, Green Acres School, and her church, Christ Congregational Church. To her, Food & Friends and Slice of Life are about more than ensuring clients end their holiday meal with a sweet dessert; it is a connection to the community and the responsibility that each one of us has to support one another in times of need.
“Food & Friends isn’t about giving people charity, it is about providing the sustenance of life. Whether it is a warm voice on the telephone or the actual meal itself, it comes down to social responsibility. People need to take care of one another.”
Although Terry has been selflessly supporting Food & Friends, she feels a new sense of commitment to the thousands of children and adults facing illness. “Food & Friends provided me with a sense of relief. I didn’t have to think about how I was going to cook my next meal. It was taken care of and I was taken care of. I am not sure how I can give back for that peace of mind."
You can join Terry in supporting Food & Friends through the sweetest donation you will make all year.


No comments:

Post a Comment