GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

July 27, 2012

Will You Be 51?

I am very thankful that I was able to attend the International AIDS Conference today. As Interim Volunteer Services Manager at Food & Friends, I am reminded daily of two basic realities: There are a lot of people out there who deserve our help. And, there are a lot of people out there who want to help those in need. 
Don Pitz, Interim Volunteer Services Manager,
at 2012 AIDS Conference in Washington, DC

At Food & Friends, I was reminded yesterday of those who need our help when I saw our updated client memorial list and knew that another neighbor, another wife, another friend tragically lost their struggle to this horrid disease. I also saw in our client intake email that in one day we added six new people to our service. At AIDS 2012, I heard a nurse from Malawi speak of the prevalence of the infection rate and told us that in her country, there are 3,000 people infected to every one nurse.

At Food & Friends, I was reminded of those who want to help when I got to train a new volunteer before she headed out on her first day delivering meals in her neighborhood. After 7 years at Food & Friends, I’ve trained thousands of volunteers before they head out on this first journey, but seeing the anticipation in their eyes each time is always a new joy to me. I know they can’t wait to make an impact in someone else’s life. At AIDS 2012, I was reminded of this energy and passion when I listened to a talk by an HIV+ woman from Egypt. She’s an activist that organizes other HIV+ women to demand for the end of their discrimination and stigma. Her organization is named “Rosa”, after Civil Rights activist Rosa Parks.

There are a lot of people out there who deserve and need our help. As Volunteer Services Manager, I had the pleasure to work with over 50 volunteers yesterday who were egger to help their neighbors in need. Tomorrow, could you make that 51? 

Don Pitz
Interim Volunteer Services Manager

Learn more about this week’s International AIDS Conference.


No comments:

Post a Comment