Try out the class’s favorite dish, Stuffed Zucchini Boats, with your own family!
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Servings: 6 zucchini boats
3 medium (8-inch) zucchini, ends trimmed, then cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup tomato-basil marinara sauce
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Use a small spoon to scrape out the insides of each zucchini half. Don't scrape the zucchini all the way to the skin - just make a deep pocket where you'll be able to put the stuffing. Save the pulp and chop it.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini pulp, onion, and garlic. Cook together 4 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are softened. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve to drain the excess moisture. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. 4. In a small bowl, mix the cheeses together. Remove two tablespoons of the cheese and set aside. Add the rest of the cheese to the mixture, along with the marinara sauce and basil. Add salt and pepper, as desired.
5. Divide the mixture between the hollowed out zucchini, filling and mounding into each one. Set the stuffed zucchini into the prepared pan and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
6. Bake 30 minutes, or until baked through and tender.
Brittany Lawrance, RD, CNSC, LDN, Community DietitianBrittany is a registered dietitian and has been with Food & Friends since October 2012. Her previous experience was working as a clinical dietitian on the pediatric hematology and oncology unit at Children’s National Medical Center. Brittany completed her dietetic internship in Baltimore, Maryland through Sodexo-Mid Atlantic and is a graduate of Bluffton University in Ohio. She enjoys traveling, playing tennis and softball, making crafts, and has a new found love for leading cooking class. Learn more about Food & Friends' nutrition services.