GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

Subscribe to the Blog

January 9, 2012

Romanian Sweetened Chickpeas

By: Brandon Nichols

 As I continue my journey into 2012 and healthy eating I find it...well...difficult. When the clock hit midnight and 2012 was official, I assumed that all unhealthy food would be outlawed or my urges would cease. Neither was true. However, I have every intention of resisting my urges! Current score: urges 23 (at least) me: 0 (at best). I am holding on to hope!

On the bright side, I have had a lot of fun in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes. Especially the one here. Simple and sweet. That is the best way to describe this recipe. I love recipes that requires few ingredients, little time but packs a ton of flavor. That is what we have here. It also shows that healthy cooking is not bland cooking. This is great as a side dish or, I think, it can stand on it own.

 

Romanian Sweetened Chickpeas

Ingredients

  • 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and cooking liquid reserved
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour and cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add the honey and stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  2. Add the chickpeas, salt, and brown sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment