GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

January 9, 2012

Romanian Sweetened Chickpeas

By: Brandon Nichols

 As I continue my journey into 2012 and healthy eating I find it...well...difficult. When the clock hit midnight and 2012 was official, I assumed that all unhealthy food would be outlawed or my urges would cease. Neither was true. However, I have every intention of resisting my urges! Current score: urges 23 (at least) me: 0 (at best). I am holding on to hope!

On the bright side, I have had a lot of fun in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes. Especially the one here. Simple and sweet. That is the best way to describe this recipe. I love recipes that requires few ingredients, little time but packs a ton of flavor. That is what we have here. It also shows that healthy cooking is not bland cooking. This is great as a side dish or, I think, it can stand on it own.

 

Romanian Sweetened Chickpeas

Ingredients

  • 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and cooking liquid reserved
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour and cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add the honey and stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  2. Add the chickpeas, salt, and brown sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment