GreyNav

Custom: Food Friends Header

Events
Media and News Center
Get Involved
Who We Serve
What We Do
Who We Are
logo

December 6, 2011

Snickerdoodles: A Reason to Start Baking Again

By: Brandon Nichols

 This Fall, I have not baked as much as you I usually do. I am not sure what accounts for this terrible occurrence. It is possible that the semi-warm weather is to blame. Generally, my baking picks up when I am able to throw on layers to hide my extra ‘layers’. Either way, I know that my lack of baking is a problem.
This weekend I decided to simultaneously fix this and take a trip down memory lane by making Snickerdoodles. It takes a lot for a cookie without chocolate to impress me; but, I have loved Snickerdoodles ever since I was a kid. I think that they are simple yet delicious. I have yet to run into a person that does not enjoy Snickerdoodles. If I did, I would quickly turn and run away.


Below you will find my favorite recipe for Snickerdoodles. Many recipes call for shortening. I do not use shortening -- it frightens me on many levels. These cookies are quick and delicious. Whip them up and watch them disappear!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups white sugar, butter or margarine, vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
  3. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Blend well. Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
  4. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll dough in sugar/cinnamon mixture.
  5. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment